How is a Divorce obtained?

Posted under News Updates on 17 February 2016
  • You may apply for a Divorce at the Family Justice Courts on your own and without engaging a lawyer.
    • You will need to understand and fulfill the formal requirements of conducting the case on your own (e.g. file / submit documents to Court the correct format, pay filing / administrative fees, speaking and providing information in Court)
  • As the Family Justice Courts will not provide you with any advice on what you should do, you would need to consult a qualified lawyer if you wish to obtain legal advice on the strengths and weaknesses of your case. The lawyer can also help by preparing the necessary documents on and appearing in Court on your behalf.
  • A Divorce is obtained by formally submitting documents and information to the Court to address the following issues:
    • Showing that a Divorce should be granted (e.g. proving the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage through adultery, unreasonable behaviour, desertion or separation)
    • Dealing with all other key issues resulting from the Divorce (also known as Ancillary Matters) such as:
      • Maintenance of the wife and children (e.g. financial support)
      • Custody, care and control of as well as access (e.g. visitation rights) to the children
      • Division of the matrimonial assets (e.g. matrimonial home)


If you would like to speak to a Singapore family lawyer about your case, please contact Jonathan Wong at [email protected] or +65 9424 6208 today.
WhatsApp chat